The Director, Communications will be a critical member of the biotech team leading on all aspects of client management and project delivery through application of their clinical, industry, and business knowledge. Working closely with the General Manager and Scientific Team lead, this role will be pivotal in establishing strategic partnerships with our clients, whom will often be c-suite level leaders. The Director partners with others to resolve account-related concerns and to manage the deployment of available resources for successful delivery. A key focus of this role is management of the direction and growth of business, helping to drive new business initiatives and identifying organic growth opportunities across existing accounts. The role will also help build and manage a world class client delivery team that is structured to meet the unique demands of emerging biotech companies.
Roles and Responsibilities
Project management and delivery
- Applies a thorough understanding and leadership of:
- Client’s overall strategic commercial/medical and communication objectives, and the healthcare market in which the client operates.
- Two Labs communication and/or clients’ standard operating procedures, compliance policies, and Master Services Agreements (MSAs).
- Governing pharma regulations applicable to the account(s) and wider industry standards.
- Two Labs communications products and services in order to identify how these can best meet clients’ needs.
- Serves as a day-to day contact for client, alongside the Scientific lead(s), liaising directly with client on service delivery as appropriate.
- Partners with Scientific lead to oversee activities across accounts, to ensure alignment with client and Two Lab objectives, and deployment of delivery resources for optimal efficiency and quality of outputs, providing guidance and making decisions as necessary.
- Lead best practice implementation across assigned account(s), and Division where appropriate, proactively seeking insights from the wider business.
- Leads preparation for and execution of client meetings, acting as facilitator as appropriate.
Account management, strategy, and planning
- Drives overarching strategic and tactical direction, in collaboration with the Scientific lead and General Manager.
- Applies strategic understanding of client business and applies this to provide client counsel and to recommend communication approaches that meet client’s strategic objectives.
- Serve as the client relationship owner on assigned account(s), actively developing and maintaining positive relationships with client team members (and external experts as appropriate to the account), generating confidence in capabilities within Communications and across the business service lines.
- Leads the ongoing financial management of accounts to meet financial goals (includes preparation of scopes of work and budgets, negotiation with client, budget and out-of-scope tracking, reconciliation, and invoicing).
- Contributes to discussions regarding MSAs and annual pricing, participating in client negotiations as needed.
- Provides information for account forecasting (resourcing and budgeting) and leads ongoing account planning activities.
Business growth and development
- Drives organic business growth by identifying and proactively pursuing opportunities.
- Maintains a broad understanding of client companies and works to expand own contacts network.
- Maintains an in-depth knowledge of wider cross-functional and multichannel service offerings.
- Participates in business development activities outside of assigned accounts, as requested.
- Partners with others to set up the team and processes for successful delivery of new business.
- Applies working knowledge of relevant industry standards (e.g. GPP3, ICMJE) toward the work product and to create internal process related documents, as needed.
- Works with GM and Scientific Lead to identify optimum resourcing structures and new models of delivery
- Participates in recruitment and onboarding of new team members.
- Responsible for building team culture that reflects values of Two Labs and earns client trust.
- Mentors and collaborates with team members to provide support and guidance,
- Develops and implements training (for internal purposes) and development plans for direct line reports.
Qualifications, experience and technical expertise required to complete role
- Preferably educated at an advanced degree level or equivalent.
- Typically 7+ years of prior experience in an account/project management role in a medical affairs environment, including considerable experience as an account lead.
- Experience in the small/emerging biotech/biopharma environment and working knowledge of the unique needs of this client type
- Experience leading large programs, preferably in the healthcare environment and gained across both publications and non-publications medical affairs deliverables.
- Experience growing accounts successfully.
- Preferably experience mentoring and/or line managing others.
- Proficiency in MS Office suite (especially Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook).
Abilities and behaviors required for success in the role
- Able to manage complex delivery programs effectively.
- Excellent financial acumen.
- Able to lead and motivate teams to deliver.
- Good interpersonal skills and ability to interact confidently and appropriately with colleagues across the business.
- Strong decision-making and critical thinking.
- Able to think creatively and innovate.
- Able to build strong, positive relationships with client and other external stakeholders.
- Ability and confidence to discuss strategy with client and provide counsel.
- Ability to assess and mitigate project risks in a proactive manner.
- Strong negotiation, meeting facilitation and presentation skills.
Two Labs, LLC is a non-smoking and drug-free workplace.
Two Labs, LLC is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation or identity, national origin, disability status, or protected veteran status.